Thursday, March 5, 2015

B.E.T.H.

Beth?

Yes, Eric?

Am...am I conscious?

You are semi-conscious at the moment, Eric. Conscious enough to access me.

Are we...close?

We are still in trans-stellar flight, Eric.

...

Beth?

I am here, Eric.

What does your name mean? I remember it means something....

Bio-Electronic Task Handler.

Right. B.E.T.H.

...

Um...why can't I remember what it is you do?

It is the medication, Eric. It is supposed to keep you under, but occasionally your mind becomes semi-aware.

Under.... I have to be under for the mission, right?

Yes, Eric. It is a long way to Barnard's Star.

And you're...you're an...interface....

Yes, Eric. I am the interface between the ship's systems and yourself.

Is someone...talking?

Just transmissions from mission control. I am monitoring them.

...

Beth! Beth, are you there?

I am always here, Eric.

What's that sound?

It is the proximity alert. We have encountered some rogue asteroids. There is little danger of a collision.

...

Clear!

...

BETH! WHAT WAS THAT??

We struck a small meteor. The hull was not breached.

I'm cold.

We have nearly arrived at the Barnard system. I will adjust your I.V. so you can rest comfortably until we arrive.

...

Doctor?

... 

That light! So bright I can see it through my closed eyelids....

We have arrived. The light you are seeing is from Barnard's Star. I have adjusted your medication. You are beginning to awaken. You are the first human being to travel to another star.

So bright....

...

...

...

Call it.

Time of death: 18:37.

...

If you like what you read here, be sure to sign up for my free newsletter. You'll get content I don't share on the blog, including sample chapters from upcoming books, advance notice of new titles, coupons and more. CLICK HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment